Thursday, June 3, 2010

An Appeal to Reason: A Call to Arms!

I was taken aback by the antipathy with which others viewed my recent dissemination of some emails about Islam. I simply let the proponents of Islam speak for themselves. I posted pictures of demonstrations where muslims were carrying gruesome statements about what they were going to do to unbelievers. Isn't it helpful to know the truth of other's belief systems? Instead, I felt like a child, caught gossiping about other's dirty laundry, by those far older and better able to understand.

I was sending out a warning. I have a great deal of experience with a more personal form of terrorism. I know that if you capitulate to the pressure of induced fear, if you are conciliatory, then you are letting someone else tell you who you are. Ironically, if you decide to adopt the same violent methods, you are also letting them decide who you are!

After my initial surprise, that others thought I was being hateful, I realized what it was that I was missing. It took a sermon on evangelism for me to see what a christian, fighting, is supposed to look like! If we are to represent the light of truth (Because that is what He is) to a world drowning in sorrow, the war has to be fought on our knees! Once we are empowered by His love, our weapons are truth and good deeds! It's a battle out there! Are we ready to fight?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Christians we need to be strong in our proclaiming who Jesus is, and how salvation is found in Jesus alone. Paul warned us that our battle is not flesh and blood, as much as it is against "the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil..." We are not to be at war physically, but spiritually. We have become too passive in allowing the thought that all religions are okay. Jesus would not have allowed that! We are to speak the truth in love; but speak the truth we must do!

Anonymous said...

As Christians we need to be strong in our proclaiming who Jesus is, and how salvation is found in Jesus alone. Paul warned us that our battle is not flesh and blood, as much as it is against "the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil..." We are not to be at war physically, but spiritually. We have become too passive in allowing the thought that all religions are okay. Jesus would not have allowed that! We are to speak the truth in love, but speak the truth we must do.