Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What Must I Do To Be Saved?

Jesus has said, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" (Matt 7:21-23) We've heard all the excuses and even used them ourselves....."I go to church." "I read my bible." "I do charity work." These are all salves for the conscience, defense mechanisms used to slough off confrontation with the real issues. We want to think we're good people. Arrogantly, we seek to impose on God our own standards of what is right, but God tells us the truth about ourselves. (Roms 3:10) When we see ourselves as He sees us, we realize we are utterly selfish and unprofitable in actions and motivation. So then, how do we make sure we have the basic of what God requires from us? What can we do to be saved?

First, we must have the right attitude. Three things comprise a proper God seeking posture. One, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." (Psalm 111:10) Obedience does not come naturally, but is a result of the fear of consequences! Second, "Without faith it is impossible to please Him, because anyone that comes to Him must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those that sincerely seek Him."(Heb 11:6) Having faith is following a Name that is already known and proven holy, just, and all-sufficient. Third, "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (Jas 4:6) So anyone who wants to come to God, must come with fear, in faith, and with humbleness.

Jesus also said, "Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."(Matt 7: 13, 14) What is this gate He speaks of? He is the gate! "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep."(Matt 10:7) "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved." (Matt 10:9)

Why does faith (belief/trust) in Jesus save us? It is because He is THE Lord! "In Him dwells all the fullness of the godhead in bodily form" (Col 2:9) Only God Himself, offered up in our place, is yet pure and powerful enough to save us! In Jesus only must we place our trust! Not in ourselves, or in others. "I know who I have believed, and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him for that day." (2 Tim 1:12)

No comments: