Sunday, August 16, 2009

Staying Positive

Flying back from visiting my father, I had opportunity to reflect on and put into practice an exercise in faith. The airplane I was in was lifting off through turbulence severe enough to feel like the hand of God was swatting it back and forth like an insect. How does one change one's attitude from that of rigid fear and maybe anger to that of exhilarating joy and anticipation? How is it possible to bring the passionate tenderness of the Savior's precious presence into every moment of our lives, no matter how painful or ackward they may be?

For a believer, a totally different perspective can be achieved by choosing, at all times, to praise God. Understanding what God is doing in your life in a difficult circumstance is not a prerequisite for praise. A change in the specifics of the situation need not happen. The only act that is necessary for a believer to commit to is the acknowledgement of the real truth behind what is going on. God is at work on us and our job is to be exalting Him by confessing His goodness. (Phil 4:4-7)

This is how the hand of the Lord is found and seen by our very own eyes, in retrospect, to be at work in us and for us. This is how we can be refined for His use and how His character is developed in us. This is how we are energized by His love so that it shines out of our face, our speech and our actions.

When I first changed my confessions from complaint to commending the glory of the Lord, I was astounded at the blessings poured out on me. I asked the Lord what the difference was that would merit such a return. His answer? The letters of the word "attitude", when given numerical values according to their sequential position in the alphabet, add up to a total of 100. So the question is, what is the percentage of difference that attitude makes? 100%!


Can you not see that Jesus is Lord?
Inundated by the tide of His passionate joy,
I lose my grip on fear.
It cannot survive the onslaught of His light of celebration!
I feel joy welling up within me in response to His presence.
His life and creativity flow like a mighty river: Irresistible!
One who has met Him is convinced.
All choice is stripped from me: I can only confess the truth.
Glorious truth! Jesus is Lord indeed!

No comments: