Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shared Memories

The most memorable letter I have ever received my sister sent me not long after both of us found out, almost at the same time, that our husbands had cheated on us. I found out before her and rode a downward spiral in flames. When she was fresh from new knowledge of her betrayal, and knew I was not dealing well with my own, she sent me this poem that she wrote herself.

Almighty God in Heaven
Please hear my plea today.
I ask you to listen closely
To what I have to say.

I don’t want fame or riches
or material possessions.
I don’t want to look for the road
Paved with the gold of good intentions.

I just want to be happy
with my children and my love.
I just want the simple blessings that
Rain down from heaven above.

I just want to feel needed
And to know that someone cares.
I want to return that love
to the people whose lives I share.

Please help me, Sweet Jesus
To remember that you love me.
Help me to feel the glory
That comes from God above me.

The greatest tragedy of all has not been our mutual abandonment by spouses, but when I lost my sister to the grief which shortly after she allowed to overwhelm her. I feel like I left the house for a short time and left the heater running. When I returned, my house was in flames. My sensitive, caring sister had been replaced by a stranger who wears the same face. Her drug addition now rules her life.

No comments: